THE LAST TIME I SAW DENNIS


What did you do to him? I shouted as the police kept dragging me away from the club, where is Dennis, what happened to him? I kept asking as they forced me into their car telling me “Sir you shouldn’t be here at this time”.

Dennis was a brother and a best friend to me, but unlike other friends I had, he was the daring type he always loved risks and I could remember his favorite words were “the greatest people in the world are risk takers” but little did I know that Dennis was about to take the risk that ended his life very early.

It all started on a Wednesday night when we were together, he told me he had somewhere to go and unlike before that we get to go everywhere together he told me that he didn’t want me to follow him, so in respect of his privacy I obeyed and let him go. This wasn’t the first time he had gone out without me but I was somewhat concerned because it has been happening frequently in recent times and unlike before when he would come back around 12am, he came back at 2am that day but I just couldn’t ask him what took him so long due to the fact that he’s a grown man and I shouldn’t be meddling into his private affairs.

It was 6:30 in the morning when Dennis woke me up and told me “Bro I’m rich now”, I initially felt I was dreaming until he tapped me again and said “Oga wake up, money don dey”, in my confusion I asked “Oga no dey whine, how you take rich, no be you borrow money from me yesterday before you comot”. He responded “Yes but you no go understand”, I just kept staring at him in confusion as he played “Let there be light” by Seyi Vibes and Zlatan Ibile and was moving to sound of the beats coming from our Bluetooth speaker.

At 8am I had fully woken up to the aroma of fried eggs from the kitchen, I slowly stood up and met him preparing breakfast, then I said in surprise “Dennis this one wey you dey cook this morning e be like today good o”, he responded with “Bro joyyy deyy” as he kept enjoying the sounds of beats from the room while he kept frying, then after breakfast, he asked me “You don go club before?” then I responded “Na person wey get money dey go club”, he responded with “wear shirt make we go buy drip”, and I was like “okay okay”.

It was 2pm and we had bought so many outfits and stuffs for our house and it felt like he just hit the jackpot because this time he agreed to pay all the bills unlike before that we split it 50/50, then he said to me “Just go house, we go see later”, he went on to book a ride for me to get home, and I kept wondering how my roommate had become so rich overnight with the intention of asking him how he did it, but Dennis didn’t show up till the next day which was a Friday.

“Bang bang bang” were the sounds that woke me up that morning, it was Dennis who looked intoxicated and was probably finding it hard to walk properly, I carefully helped him get to the bed, then I noticed his phone wasn’t in his pocket, but his cross bag felt a bit heavier than usual, so I checked and saw he had purchased an iPhone 14 Pro Max. we both used an iPhone 11 so I was shocked to see him with a new iPhone in less than 24 hours he told me He was rich now.

I kept staring at him with so many questions in my head, Dennis was a programmer and I was a writer and he had not gotten any new jobs recently so how did he get so much money in a very short period of time, I kept thinking then went on to complete my schedule for the day which involved seeing my girlfriend and spending time with her.

It was 4pm when I got a message from Dennis saying “where you go, I don finish the food wey you cook o”, then I told my girlfriend I had to go and we shared a kiss and I left. I got home around 5pm, for Dennis had slept from 8am till 3pm and little did I know that this would be the last day I spend with him, on getting home he said to me “Oya oya go choose outfit wey you go wear, remember say we dey go club” and I was like “Ohh na true” neglecting the questions I had to ask him.

It was 9pm and we were in the club, and I felt the need to ask him all the questions I wanted to ask, I began with “Bro you know say na me and you dey and I no fit dey tell anyone your secrets, abeg how you take get all this money so fast?”, he responded with “Oga you no go enjoy, continue dey ask questions” as he kept on ordering drinks but I didn’t give up on getting answers to my questions. It was already 12:30am on Saturday morning when I asked him “Oga we no dey go house?”, but he acted like he didn’t hear what I was saying.

It was already 1am when I pulled him from a lady he was having a conversation with and told him “Oga tell me, how you get this money?”, he then took me to a chair where no one was sitting and whispered to me “I no suppose tell anyone this thing but I dey tell you, you remember say I like dey take risk, well I go do ritual and the terms and conditions be say I no go dey sleep for night from 10pm to 6am”, at that moment I had no words I just kept staring at him as I slowly exited the club with thoughts running through my head as I walked home, “what if he sleeps?, what then will happen?”.

It was 8am when I woke up but unlike before when I’ll wake up to the door being banged on Dennis this time it was silent, so I picked up my phone to dial his number and it was not reachable, I kept on trying until it was 8:30 and I felt I should go and check up on him since I left him at the club. At 9am I noticed police cars were around the club so I dropped from the bike I came with and asked a police man what had happened there, he responded with “For months now, we’ve been on an investigation of this club based on suspicions of organ harvesting and today, we walked in on them butchering a young man”, then in fear I asked “Please can I see the body of the man?”, the police man replied “I’m sorry I can’t let you see that right now”.

It was 9:40am and Dennis number wasn’t still going through and I had all sort of thoughts going through my mind until I saw a purple iPhone 14 pro max stained with blood in a plastic bag which looked exactly like the one Dennis had bought, then I asked the policeman with the bag, “Please sir did this phone belong to the victim”, he responded with yes it did and the description he gave also matched how Dennis looked, I hurriedly ran past the barricade in attempt of seeing my best friend’s lifeless body.

What did you do to him? I shouted as the police kept dragging me away from the club, where is Dennis, what happened to him? I kept asking as they forced me into their car telling me “Sir you shouldn’t be here at this time”.

For Dennis had died a painful death in the early hours of Friday May 12 2023 and I write this in tears, for if he had been home and had not waited in the club until it was 6am he would have been here with me, for I lost a brother to the love of money which led him into the trap of organ traffickers. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form